Monday, February 25, 2019

Holler Magazine

The second magazine that I chose is Hoot magazine which is a feminist magazine created by students at Columbia University. This magazine is about feminism in fashion, particularly pertaining to New York. This magazine publishes an issue twice a year: once for fall/winter and the other for spring/summer.

The technical and design elements I noticed are:

  • strong emphasis on photography
    • the photography is very artistic and not commercialized

  • they overlapped the photos

  • font for masthead is curly and in all lowercase


  • many pictures are shot from low angles


I definitely want photography to be a focused part of my magazine. I want to try and add as many artistic and original elements to the photography as I can. I was planning on the photos being from low angles to make that subject seem more powerful. Overlapping the photos is something that I hadn't thought of doing but I really liked the idea and I want to try it. This magazine really made me realize how much work I have to put in to planning the design of the photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment