Monday, March 11, 2019

Theatre Magazines

Since I have changed my original genre for my magazine to theatre, I needed to do way more research to find common production and content conventions. The magazines I chose for my research are the Canadian Theatre Review and Playbill.

Canadian Theatre Magazine is mainly produced by college students and is published by university of Toronto press. The magazine analyzes current theatre developments in Canadian theatre. It discussions many topic regarding theatergoers, critics, performers and more.

Cover Image



  • black background
  • pictures are of multiple people instead of only one subject
  • there aren't any cover lines only the topic of the magazine 
  • the setting is a stage 
  • barcode on lower left corner
  • colorful masthead 
The history of the Playbill magazine is hard to find but on Wikipedia it said Playbill was published by New York Theatre Program Corporation. The content focuses on new play and musicals.

cover image


  • dark background 
  • focuses on one subject
  • cover lines mainly on left side
  • barcode on lower left side in a large white rectangle
  • brightly colored masthead
In my cover image I want to include the dark/black background, colored masthead, topic of the magazine, and stage setting. The content for my magazine is going to be more similar to the Canadian Theatre Review and focus on topics/issues within the theatre industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment