Friday, March 1, 2019

Throwing My Original Idea For My Magazine In The Trash (but not all of it)

My original idea for my magazine was to create an empowering magazine about women in different jobs. Each issue would be a different job and would include interviews and the empowering aspect of each job. The issue I was going to create was women in theatre but then I realized I don't know many women who are currently working in theatre. The people I know who have worked in theatre or work in theatre but as teachers are the director, choreographer, and vocal teacher at inside out theatre. while I think my dance teacher especially is extremely inspiring and hardworking, I really wanted to focus on how theatre affects and empowers young people or young women. it was also hard to find common genre conventions that were about feminist and created for younger audiences.

Instead of this I want to create a theatre magazine which has way more established conventions and are much easier to research. One theatre magazine that is extremely popular among the theatre community is Playbill. The issue of the magazine I want to create will focus on empowered teenagers who are working towards being in the theatre industry. This way I can show that I understand genre conventions and I can include the main subjects I wanted to discuss like empowerment in theatre. The thing I'm still unsure about is whether I want to make it focus on young women or adolescents in general. Especially since I switched my idea, now I have to do a bunch of research about theatre magazines instead of feminist ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment